Re: March Debian Testing ISO

Hi Nio
(inline below)
On 03/15/2018 03:12 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2018-03-13 kl. 23:29, skrev Israel:
>> On 03/13/2018 02:48 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>> Den 2018-03-13 kl. 18:08, skrev Israel:
>>> Hi Israel,
>>>
>> Hi Nio
>> (inlines below)
>>> I downloaded the current iso file and tested it.
>>>
>>> 1. zsync failed for me (I tried twice). I have a user at phillw.net,
>>> and I could identify the file and get it (and the md5sum) via sftp.
>>>
>> Hmmm... it may be because I zsync the symlink... I just amended this!
>>> 2. I logged into the live graphical desktop environment. It looked
>>> good, but I did not really test it this time.
>>>
>> Great!
>>> 3. I rebooted and selected the OBI in text mode. It worked and I could
>>> install ToriOS (at the basic OBI level) :-)
>>>
>> Excellent!
>>> 4. I tried to reboot into the installed system. But the computer shut
>>> down instead. Is this by intention?
>>>
>> Hmmm... not sure why this happened.  I will look into things.... might
>> be a systemd quirk
>>> 5. I booted into the installed system and it works. I did only some
>>> superficial tests.
>>>
>> This is great, I am glad it works at the most basic level!!
>>> I hope to get better time for more tests later.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>

> Hi again,
>

> 1. Looking more into the text mode installer:
>
> - At the advanced level it offers 'Use gparted and show help', but
> gparted is a GUI tool.
>
> This should be changed somehow, for example to suggest to select
> graphics mode and use gparted, or to use some text mode partitioning
> tool (possible but more difficult). On the other hand, in a computer,
> that does not work at all with ToriOS live in graphics mode, ToriOS is
> not a suitable operating system.
>
> It is reasonable to do the partitioning in graphics mode, then reboot
> and run the installation in text mode (which needs less RAM).
>
> Anyway, it works via 'obiroot' and 'obiswap' as it should :-)
>
> ... and the installation was successful, a working system was
> installed, and the previous system was available via the grub menu :-)

This is a very good point.  I had not thought of this, and will have to
do some reconsidering here.  I suppose I could offer to launch the
Graphical Desktop, or use parted if the user chooses.
It would be good if I could somehow make a tool to provide the same
functionality, but that is too complex for ToriOS 2.0  maybe in 2.5/3.0