Re: VirtualBox image

On 08/09/2014 07:24 PM, dbyentzen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 2014-08-08 22:37, Israel wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> In preparation for the upcoming release, I have hosted a Virtualbox
>> image on our site.
>> It is basic, and lacks certain things, but is more for you to check out
>> and test.  Expect things not to function completely how you want them
>> too.... but you can use it as a base to test out different pacakges and
>> become familiar with.  You can also use it to safely test the new
>> version of JWM and jwm-settings-manager
>>
>> Speaking of JWM, I came across a post about memory consumtion  here is a
>> chart:
>> http://l3net.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/cmp-all4.png
>> tl;dr JWM = 3 LXDE = 36
>> another post
>> http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/ubuntu-desktop-memory-comparison/
>> rates LXDE on Ubuntu as 184 while running.
>> So far in my limited testing I have gotten a pretty consistent 78-90MB
>> I know this is more than we wanted, but it is a start.
>> I am building a machine from the mini.iso for 14.04 right now to test
>> things and find out what I can about trimming things down a bit  Using
>> things to make everything work nicely adds to the overall... so it is a
>> bit hard.  The good news is my program isn't a memory hog...  It runs in
>> about 2MB.
>> Which is fortunate for ToriOS users.  The real test will be on hardware
>> with around 128 (or less)
>>
>> Does anyone have a 32bit computer with 128MB Ram?
>>
>> Thanks for all your hard work everyone!!
>>
>> Oh... the link :)
>> http://torios.org/VB/ToriBuilder.vdi.xz
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>
> Thanks Israel!  I'm DLing the link now. I'm eager to see this! I will
> give feedback once I get it going.
>
> Sorry, the oldest I got is a Dell D620 series laptop.
>
> Best
> David
Hi David!

It is ok if your oldest laptop is newer.  The memory difference between
ToriOS and Lubuntu will be noticeable on any laptop with lower memory.
In my current build on a real machine is running between 63-73.  I am
trying to get full functionality but also limit the things hogging memory.
The battery applet will add some, but we do not have to enable it by
default.  We could also not have the volume icon... but it only uses
1MB+\- (it seems).

The shutdown procedure is still rough in the image.  You can't use the
shutdown menu.  But, in a VM that doesn't matter much.... you can simply
turn it off :)

Also, after you login... you may need to run startx to boot to jwm... if
that is the case e-mail me, and I can tell you how to fix it.
It is kinda nice running startx... take you back to the early days of
Gnome1 or even the old windows where you had to run windows from DOS.