Re: Applications

On 2014-08-09 22:08, Israel wrote:
On 08/09/2014 09:01 PM, dbyentzen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I wanted to give the project info about three apps I've looked at and
used.

Basic information: I used Lubuntu 14.04 default install 32 bit in
VM...done before Israel pushed out the ToriOS vdi.

I looked at Firefox, Qupzilla, Qpdfview, Zathura, and Evince(Document
Viewer).

All RAM usage reported includes the Task Manager running.

Qupzilla approx. 14MB install and Firefox is approx. 85MB installed

Qupzilla at idle uses approx. 50MB and Firefox( no addons) uses
approx. 56MB of RAM

Qupzilla is faster and just as stable as Firefox, although the
occasional page will not load properly.

Document Apps:

Zathura is approx. 8776kB installed, Qpdfview is approx. 2.8MB
installed, and Evince(Document Viewer) is approx. 1.2MB installed. As
I moderately skilled end-user I found Zathura unusable. Of Qpdfview
and Document Viewer, I found Document Viewer to be usable, stable,
smaller in install size, and at a RAM usage of 12 MB not too bad.

I prefer Qupzilla as a browser and Document Viewer for document handling.

Apologies for the long email.

Best
David

Hi David,
Have you tried xpdf?

Thanks for your testing!
I think we should have a community vote for this, I use FF mainly, but I
also use Qupzilla and I use chromium.  I agree Qupzilla is much faster
to load, and usually works, and has adblock by default, and is being
continually developed.  It keeps getting better.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give xpdf a look. I'm going to start looking at other apps...lightweight, fast, and resource efficient. I totally agree the entire community needs to input on the apps. I'm only testing what I can and reporting back.

Best
David