Re: My Feedback - latest build

On 10/11/2014 06:42 PM, Ali Linx wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have published:
> http://torios.org/news/torios-latest-build-is-ready-for-testing/
>
> I am testing it on my virtual box.
>
> Quick feedback:
>
> (1) The Live Session has only one browser, that is Links 2. After
> installing the system, both browsers will show up.

Yes... I did that to make sure it fit on the CD :)
> (2) I loved the idea of having a very visible button to install ToriOS
> at the bottom .. this is great idea, well done :D

Thanks
> (3) I loved the logo on the Live Menu and Loved the wallpaper after
> installing the system - login screen.

Great, I am glad you liked it :)  It was pretty easy to make in Gimp :)
> (4) I didn't like the idea of seeing Ubuntu 12.04 with the 4 dots :D
> haha yeah, I know, but just saying :D

I know... I have to update the default plymouth... I have it made
already, I have just been fixing other issues :P
> (5) Networking does not work by default 'after' installing the system.
> On the Live Session, I had Internet.

Wireless or wired?
I have no trouble getting wireless to work after I installed on a
computer...
on the wired I had to change it

to fix:
run ifconfig and looking for your eth/X/ device it should be eth1 or
eth0.... then simply change that in the wicd (wireless icon up top )
Preferences.

I will look into this issue more, to see if wicd is installing
configuration files when I build the chroot that mess with this... we
had the same issue when I built it from the mini iso as well...

I will also look into /etc/network/interfaces to make sure there isn't
anything written in there... though it boots quickly, so it shouldn't.
Usually the installed system will boot extremely slowly because it it
'trying to resolve network' for ever... but... anyhow I will check it out.

> (6) After installing ToriOS, when I click on the Web Icon to open the
> browser, it is Links 2 that will pop up, not SeaMoneky

I know, I need to fully understand how update-alternatives will force
seamonkey to be default.
> (7) As it has been mentioned, the manual does not work.

it was a typo... I installed to docs not doc :P
> (8) 74MB RAM usage in my case. I see SWAP 0 so yes, there is no SWAP
> apparently.

there is... it just doesn't get hooked up right :(  but the fstab file
should fix this issue fully
> (9) Happy to see the Mouse Pad working unlike the previous
> build/version. Thanks a lot!

great!
> (10) If I want to logout and log back in, I can NOT do anything except
> logging in. I can't reboot, shutdown, nothing. There must be an option
> to do that from the Login Manager Screen. I know we have a GUI instead
> of CLI welcome screen with a login manager and that is why there
> 'must' be an option to shutdown, reboot, etc. Just like all the other
> systems.

You can.... there are keywords you can type in :)  Secret keywords*
However I need to edit the slim.conf to use dbus calls rather than the
sudo shutdown -h now command and reboot

> (11) Menu > Accessories > Root Terminal does not work at all. "torios"
> password is not working.

probably a pkexec issue... sorry.. I may simply remove that :)
> (12) GParted is included by default and it does not work. I'd suggest
> to remove it and only include it on the LiveCD.

sorry it does work... but only from the terminal... there is no GUI
handler yet for pkexec.... sorry

> (13) Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think ToriOS as of today, it
> does support multiple users, correct? because the only user for now is
> "torios" and I don't think we can have another one, right? we could
> using the terminal - maybe - but GUI approach is not yet available,
> correct? this is one of the major things that we need to address, fix
> and test.

Yep, I have been thinking about the best way to do this... I will most
likely make a zenity script... because there are specific files in
/home/torios that need to migrate to the new users account... most
notably the jwmrc file and some of the X related files.
> (14) Synaptic does not work after installing the system. I haven't
> check that on the LiveCD.

again.. this is due to pkexec.... sorry I will have to address this
issue... I have been focused on the installer lately..  I will look into
what program provides pkexec and presents the user with the password box
> I guess that is all for the moment.
>
> Until I have more free time, I will send more ...
>
> Thanks for all the great work - well done :D

* From the Arch wiki [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM]

      Shutdown, reboot, suspend, exit, launch terminal from SLiM

You may shutdown, reboot, suspend, exit or even launch a terminal from
the SLiM login screen. To do so, use the values in the username field,
and the root password in the password field:

  * To launch a terminal, enter *console* as the username (defaults to
    xterm which must be installed separately... edit |/etc/slim.conf| to
    change terminal preference)
  * For shutdown, enter *halt* as the username
  * For reboot, enter *reboot* as the username
  * To exit to bash, enter *exit* as the username
  * For suspend, enter *suspend* as the username. Suspend is disabled by
    default, edit |/etc/slim.conf| as root to uncomment the
    |suspend_cmd| line and, if necessary, modify the suspend command
    itself (by e.g. changing |/usr/sbin/suspend| to |sudo
    /usr/sbin/pm-suspend|).