Re: My Feedback - latest build

On 10/12/2014 02:41 AM, Geoffrey De Belie wrote:

> Op 12-10-14 om 01:42 schreef Ali Linx:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have published:
>> http://torios.org/news/torios-latest-build-is-ready-for-testing/
>>
>> I am testing it on my virtual box.
>>
>> Quick feedback:
>>
>> (1) The Live Session has only one browser, that is Links 2. After
>> installing the system, both browsers will show up.
>>
>> (2) I loved the idea of having a very visible button to install
>> ToriOS at the bottom .. this is great idea, well done :D
>>
>> (3) I loved the logo on the Live Menu and Loved the wallpaper after
>> installing the system - login screen.
>>
>> (4) I didn't like the idea of seeing Ubuntu 12.04 with the 4 dots :D
>> haha yeah, I know, but just saying :D
>>
>> (5) Networking does not work by default 'after' installing the
>> system. On the Live Session, I had Internet.
>>
>> (6) After installing ToriOS, when I click on the Web Icon to open the
>> browser, it is Links 2 that will pop up, not SeaMoneky
>>
>> (7) As it has been mentioned, the manual does not work.
>>
>> (8) 74MB RAM usage in my case. I see SWAP 0 so yes, there is no SWAP
>> apparently.
>>
>> (9) Happy to see the Mouse Pad working unlike the previous
>> build/version. Thanks a lot!
>>
>> (10) If I want to logout and log back in, I can NOT do anything
>> except logging in. I can't reboot, shutdown, nothing. There must be
>> an option to do that from the Login Manager Screen. I know we have a
>> GUI instead of CLI welcome screen with a login manager and that is
>> why there 'must' be an option to shutdown, reboot, etc. Just like all
>> the other systems.
>>
>> (11) Menu > Accessories > Root Terminal does not work at all.
>> "torios" password is not working.
>>
>> (12) GParted is included by default and it does not work. I'd suggest
>> to remove it and only include it on the LiveCD.
>>
>> (13) Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think ToriOS as of today,
>> it does support multiple users, correct? because the only user for
>> now is "torios" and I don't think we can have another one, right? we
>> could using the terminal - maybe - but GUI approach is not yet
>> available, correct? this is one of the major things that we need to
>> address, fix and test.
>>
>> (14) Synaptic does not work after installing the system. I haven't
>> check that on the LiveCD.
>>
>> I guess that is all for the moment.
>>
>> Until I have more free time, I will send more ...
>>
>> Thanks for all the great work - well done :D
>>
> Hi all,
>
> Great work. I tested the ToriOS live system. I missed a text editor,
> so I issued:
> "apt-get install abiword" and I had one
>
> Maybe we should provide the user with a GUI screen to install basic
> things like this. An "install manager" :)
>
> Next, the bitmap application was completely useless, since I don't
> understand how to use it. I suspect many of us have the same feeling
> and I suggest removing it. Have a look at gnu paint for a replacement,
> [...]
Hi Geoffery,
The bitmap program is an X11 app... it comes with all the x11 apps like
xload (the monitor in the panel) xcalc xedit (the text editor), xman
(the manual browser), etc..
I just added a desktop file for it.
It only makes black and white xbm type bitmaps.  It was already on the
system so I just made a desktop file for it...  I don't think we are
going to try to include a better graphics drawing program at this point...
And install manager would be nice, have Paul come up with a nice
lightweight Software Center written in Python :)

The documentation error is fairly simple....  I point it to the wrong
place on accident.  It was a typoo.  It should point to /usr/share/doc
instead I added an 's'  It is working the the latest Daily Build
though.  I also need to update it with the current version Paul has.
Ali pointed this out in the Live CD version... but thank you for
reminding me :) It is using the old menu which tries to use xdpf...  so
I will definitely update it, since xpdf is not installed :)