Re: Very upset :/

On 11/09/2014 05:59 PM, Ali Linx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://twitter.com/amjjawad
>
> Check the latest 3 tweets.
>
> I am so upset because of that ... why people are so stupid?!
> I am offering them something and it is FREE if I have do but seeing
> all these hardware going to trash is really bad feeling .. I feel SO BAD!
>
> I need to vent out and share with you the very bad experience I have
> seen this morning :(

Hi Ali,
Your posts do not promote ToriOS in the correct way we need to promote it.
I understand your frustration, as I have felt it too.  I live in
America.  They throw away so much that shouldn't be thrown away.  We
throw away ton(ne)s of food each day that could be feeding countless people.

Calling people idiots is fostering the part of FOSS that is giving it a
bad name.  People are turned away from using it because they feel like
they are not good enough or smart enough to use it.  When people ask
simple questions because they know nothing about it, the people who view
themselves as 'gurus' act very inappropriately and belittle the people
they should most help.

I am not in anyway trying to come against you, as I fully understand you
are frustrated that people are throwing away something that still has
years of life left in it.  They throw away machines that people in
poorer countries would love to have.

My suggestion is to rethink your tactics.  You DO need to act out, and
react to people throwing away computers.  But, you need to approach the
entire subject with LOVE, and care.

If we become another elitist community in FOSS we have made no strides
to bring this to the masses.  Our community will become the best if we
take the time to answer every question, even if it is so basic, my 4
year old can do it (yes he can open a terminal... don't ask me how he
figured that one out).

We need to stand apart from ALL OS.  Windows has bad tech support, bad
issues with viruses/security etc.. (though it is getting much better).
OSX has GREAT tech support, but it is closed and elitist.  If we can be
open, helpful and there for the common person we can succeed where
others haven't.  Ubuntu is the most supported GNU/Linux on the market.
They are the standard for Desktop Linux boxes (Dell, ASUS, etc..) They
are the most widely deployed in many other areas.

We have everything in place to make a huge difference.  Ubuntu uses
about 1Gig+/- RAM.  We use around 60-70MB.  Sure we have some issues to
work out to make this better... but we are working at it.

We NEED to portray an air of kindness and care.  This is our main tool
to help people.  If we can revitalize their computers and kindly help
people we will build a unique rapport with our community.  One that says
"See we do care!"

I know you know this from your experiences in GNU/Linux communities.
You were one of those people that kindly helped me with Lubuntu many
years ago (when Lubuntu was much rougher around the edges).  I know you
are that person, so don't forget it.  Passionately pursue being that
helpful caring person that you are!  Don't let the frustration get to
you!  You rock dude! :D

-Israel
ToriOS Team