Re: networking

Hi Paul,
It is not advised to manually edit /etc/network/interfaces
It should look as you have shown.
If you add things to that file, generally it will take about 60 seconds
longer to boot as it "tries to configure the network"  You will get a
message about this on the splash screen.  It is quite annoying :)

Of course if you are doing extremely complex networking you can do it
that way.
Generally though you should simply launch wicd (hit the networking icon
in the tray) and configure it there.  If you cannot connect via the
default eth0 wlan0 you can change it.

If you want ethernet you can check which one you are using via the terminal
ifconfig |grep eth
or for wireless
ifconfig |grep wlanifconfig |grep eth

If it says
eth1  change wicd to use eth1, etc..

Of course you can also install network manager.
If you remove wicd this will work... they CANNOT run together very well.

after installing network manager you can open the
Panel Settings (my program) and disable the network indicator and click OK.
Then open it again and re-enable it.
If I remember right I set it to prefer network-manager over wicd.
Basically the program checks to see if you have wicd or network manager
installed... and if you do it will add it to the autostart.

Actually... this might be good to put in the manual :)

On 11/14/2014 01:49 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> How is networking set up by default on torios
>
> I want to get an ip address via dhsp but /etc/network/interfaces has
> (this is using virtual box, there is no way to copy / paste between
> virtualbox and an e-mail or I don't know how to do this, if there is a
> way.
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> which just ends up with it having a 127.0.0.1 ip address
>
> Paul

-Israel
ToriOS Team