Filemanager for ToriOS

Hi everyone,

For all who were not present yesterday, we had an off-the-record discussion.
We all decided to think over the current ToriOS setup.

Here are some of the thoughts we had:

Rox-filer is VERY lightweight, but has some inherent issue.

So we discussed (and tested ) using PCManFM instead of udiskie and Rox.
I am going to build an ISO soon with this setup and we can further test
this.

>From my initial testing it seems that the memory difference is very
minor... so minor I was unable to accurately determine if it did use
more or less memory.  It was very close indeed.

PCManFM (for those of you who have never used LXDE or Lubuntu) is a very
lightweight Filemanager, that can handle mounting devices, and also
handles a lot of the normal stuff, like MIME-types, trash being saved in
a folder before being deleted permanently, etc...

As far as we were concerned PCManFM is the best choice for us.  It
retains the correct Numix-gtk theme, and worked very well.

If anyone is opposed to this please speak up!

We all thought the benefits of it outweigh the possible downsides.  The
only downside I noticed was that it opened a bit slower than Rox... it
took maybe 1 or 2 seconds to open, rather than opening instantly like
Rox does.  But this is the initial testing... if I start it in the
background (to handle mounting volumes like udiskie has) it may open
just as quickly.
removing udiskie from the mix may offset any memory losses by using
pcmanfm...

I'll let you all know when I have an image to test.

-Israel
ToriOS Team

Follow ups