Re: gksu terminal

On 11/23/2014 11:25 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-11-24 02:38, Israel skrev:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I have been working on the torios-core package and the build scripts...
>> so here is my question.
>>
>> Do we want a root Terminal in the menu?
>> if we do I need to install gksu
>> if not I will simply remove it.
>>
>> That is basically what I need to know :)
>>
> I have no strong wish about a root terminal. I know the Ubuntu policy is
> to use only sudo and gksu, and I know many other distros supply root
> terminals and some do not even supply sudo.
>
> -o-
>
> Maybe it is more complicated. I think people might want gparted,
> synaptic and other GUI programs that need superuser privileges, and to
> be able to launch them from a terminal window.
>
> The typical Ubuntu alternative is not to use a root terminal window, but
> use a normal terminal window and to launch it with 'gksu' (alias
> 'gksudo'). I think (from a thread in the Ubuntu Forums about it) that it
> is also possible to use 'sudo -H' without creating problems with
> ownership of hidden files in the user's home directory, but it is easy
> to forget the -H.
>
> So to conclude, I think many people might come to ToriOS from the Ubuntu
> world, and would miss gksu. So I suggest that you include gksu even if
> you won't supply a root terminal.
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Hi Nio,
You bring up a great point.
Thank you.  I hope others will weigh in on this, but I agree that I
probably should include gksu.
I know I use it on occasion... though mostly now I just do most things
like that from sudo on a terminal... gksu allows you to use a fancy text
editor or a filemanager as well...

I do think that I shouldn't include the root terminal in the menu, as
that can be too easily dangerous.... though on the plus side installing
ToriOS takes much less time than installing any of the various OS I have
ever used :)

-Israel
ToriOS Team