Update

Hi everyone,
I am just sending an update to let you know about my progress here.
I have been spending a lot of time trying to get the settings manager
closer to being finished enough for our final release.

Here are the most notable things I have done/am working on.

Huge code refactoring to make common functions use a base function for
easy maintenance.

Almost everything has been refactored to be ready for multiple panel
support.
Begun working on successful multiple panel editing, though there are a
few UI issues I need to address.

Created a configuration file for the program which keeps track  of the
current panel.
getting ready to add more items to the configuration, such as the
default clock/calendar app.

I haven't commited the changes yet, as there are still some instability
issues, but I am getting very close to having this program ready for the
release or ToriOS 1.0.  I would like to implement a few more things, but
my goal is to have full functionality before ToriOS 1.0, though there
are some things I will leave in their not-perfect-but-perfectly-usable
state, such as the font chooser, and keyboard shortcut manager.  Those
are usable and stable, but not quite to the caliber of use that I
ultimately want.  I would like the font chooser to be alphabetized and
show previews of the actual font, but this is much easier than editing
an xml file by hand :)  And I would like the keyboard setup utility to
have a 'key grabber' where you simply press keys and it knows what you
press and assign that as the shortcut, but still the current form works
and is easier/less dangerous than hand editing XML.
Basically I want to be able to fully edit multiple panels and configure
them easily.  This is the main goal I have before we can release the
full ToriOS 1.0 , though Beta can be usable without multpile panel
support (our default setup is only one panel), I personally always use
multiple panels in all DE I use, so it is a feature I know others will
require.

That about sums up this week's work... just a lot of programming.

Oh, I also have a fairly stable sdesk and I updated it with a man page,
and have tested it a little, but not enough to know whether we can use
sdesk and a script to replace a network monitoring program.

-Israel
ToriOS Team

Follow ups