Re: Update checker/script

Hi Geoffery!
Thanks for the research!!  Is it a binary program, or is it a script?
If it is a script we could simply roll our own version.  Otherwise 2MB
is not much anyhow (compared to how much space we are saving).  I would
be willing to add 2MB in order to have a full update manager running.
We could check each time on startup, and have it configurable.  Maybe
write something to make it possible to check every day, hour, etc..  It
would be cool to figure out if we could install security updates without
a password, to not bother the user, but simply display a different icon
to show it is downloading security updates.  Either way, I am sure I
could incorporate this into sdesk.

I need to work on a front-end for sdesk.  As it is it can be hard to
configure everything (especially for a new user that doesn't use terminals).

Look into whether it is a binary or not, and when you find out I will
test it and see what I can do.  I do have a few other things I am
working on right now...  but I will try to find some time for this.

On 04/07/2015 02:06 PM, Geoffrey De Belie wrote:
> Hi Israel
>
> I found the package nagios-plugins-basic. This package is 2MB (included sizes of dependencies), but we only need a fraction of it; it's the command check_apt:
> /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_apt
>
> Maybe you can repackage it in some way that it gets smaller? (I mean, strip the other scripts that we don't need)
>
> The script does what it needs to do: display the number of packages to be upgraded. Maybe you can write a tool that checks if the string contains "0 packages", and if it doesnt you can show some kind of message window?
>
> Kind regards
> Geoffrey De Belie / Smile4ever

-Israel
ToriOS Team