u+1 team mailing list archive

Status update on U+1

Hello everyone,

As we approach the end of this development cycle and the beginning of a
new one, I'd like to give you some feedback on what's being done at U+1
(and also invite each of you to join the discussions and help us).

As the team started, I wasn't really sure if testers would trust the
team proposal and join it. I had no idea how many members we could
eventually reach (if it would become viable as a testing team). Right
now, it has become clear for me that U+1 is a relevant team,
congregating accomplished members and motivated new users too. We are
growing sustainably, week after week. Right now we're close to 40
members and we haven't even started a formal recruitment process.

Our foundation docs, as publicly available at the team wiki and
presented to the Community Council, clearly establish that U+1 will
focus on empowering it's members, and on activities they are willing to
perform. I can understand that this testing team members have always
been inclined to test daily updates and new packages, as many brought it
to my attention. It's the team profile and I can assure you U+1 won't
ever go against that.

We're working to provide the team with some good resources by the next
development cycle, such as:
- Tutoring on better bug reporting and getting bugs fixed;
- A system to automatically track all the bugs reports by team members;
- Basic programming live (IRC) classes (So we can attempt to directly
contribute and fix small bugs);
- Chats with developers, to get bugs fixed and some advanced tips on
testing (debugging, etc);
- Alliances with other teams;

We're a new team, and it will take us some time to get everything going.
But we're working as hard as possible to advance. Hopefully a portion of
that will be ready and usable in the next cycle.

I'd like to invite you all to express your ideas, concerns, doubts to
Cariboo907 and to me. We need your input. We can work to turn your ideas
into projects. And if you would like to know how you can contribute
right now, just ask us. Some of you have already joined the #U+1 channel
on IRC and it has been great to get to know and talk to each of you
individually. I'd like to invite everyone to join our IRC channel, so we
can discuss what's being done and have fun too.

That's it, thank you all for being a part of this team!

Kind regards,
--
Alvaro "Effenberg0x0" Leal
Mail <mailto:Effenberg0x0@xxxxxxxxxx>*| *Wiki