u+1 team mailing list archive

Quantal Alpha Two Testing plans and a surprise!

The Alpha Two milestone will be released next Thursday. Starting today, I am issuing a call to everyone to take a moment this week and test your favorite iso using the daily image. Be sure and record your results (and bugs) if any.

Starting next Monday the first images will be generated for the milestone and we'll begin milestone testing. By taking a moment now to make sure we don't have any critical issues, we can avoid re-spins and re-testing next week during the milestone. A bug found, can be a bug fixed, and a respin avoided :-) For alpha 1, we as a community reported 11 bugs this way and of them, at least 4 were critical enough to cause a respin. Instead, they were able to be fixed before the first iso builds for alpha 1. The amount of work saved cannot be understated. A big thank you to those that enabled this to happen from all of us :-)

Also occurring this week is the debut of the new qatracker. Some of you have gotten a preview of the tracker by participating in the "12.10 kernel on 12.04 testing". Many thanks to everyone who helped test and contributed feedback on using the site. The new tracker will land early in the week; I will let everyone know once the changeover has occurred. From an iso testing perspective, your workflow should stay the same for now. I'll detail some of the enhancements and plans later this week. If you encounter any issues, please file a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-qa-website/+filebug?no-redirect&field.tags=qa-tracker

Finally, here's a few links that may come in useful for you during iso testing; don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/ISO/Procedures

I can highly recommend zsync and, if your testing must occur in a VM, testdrive. Zsync makes it easy to keep your isos up-to-date without having to re-download them.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UsingDevelopmentReleases

As always, happy testing everyone!

Nicholas