u1db-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Data Model

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:12:52 -0500, Rodney Dawes <dobey.pwns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are we going to specify a data model at all for how the content of the
> JSON objects should be structured for storing in the DB? Sort of like
> the schema definitions we had for Contacts/etc… in desktopcouch?

I think this is a layer above u1db, and I don't think u1db should
mandate this (unless it turns out to be necessary for performance or
readability or whatever). And... I wouldn't be upset if one particular
backend or implementation had some kind of restriction (e.g. "toplevel
must be a json object, not list, and all entries must have the same
keys). I'd recommend against it, as it makes it less useful, however.

> I'm wondering about this, as requiring app developers to pass around
> JSON strings and serialize/deserialize the content all the time, and
> build their own internal data models, seems like quite a burden to
> inflict upon them.

this is being well addressed in the other thread :)