u1db-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: A DB of my own

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 09:52 +0000, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> So... do we have a sync daemon and support multiple apps? Or do we avoid
> this problem by not dealing with it, at the expense of making every app
> developer handle authentication and syncing themselves?

The way I see it, developers are going to have to handle auth and
syncing themselves anyway, to sync with anything that isn't U1. It's
probably just better to make the API simple and extensible enough, to
make that easier, rather than trying to make some other solution outside
of the API, which doesn't necessarily make any of it easier, and makes
other problems more difficult.

Having a separate daemon doing the sync with U1 means we have yet
another thing that can break, and which requires more extensive
documentation, on top of documentation we have to provide anyway. Having
a nice API to do the sync and auth pieces seems like less work than
having a daemon for sync, and would make it easier for app developers to
sync their data, and wouldn't require us to write and maintain another
daemon, which has to run all the time, and deal with lots of databases.

Also, the daemon solution presumably only will work on Windows, OSX, and
Ubuntu, and not on Android, iOS, in-browser, etc… so it seems like an
odd path to take, if it doesn't fit all those models as nicely as a
simple and nice API would, which people will have to use on other
platforms anyway.