ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: rejecting ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

Hi Evan,

I clarified some of the attribution details. Icons still remain. They
are a mixture of GNOME icon theme stuff, Human icon theme stuff and
icons from specific applications, all compiled into PNGs from SVGs
(except for the current Pidgin icon).

I had this going at first:

        This project uses icons from various sources.
        The following are from the GNOME Icon Theme
        <http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-icon-theme/>:

        The following are from the Human Icon Theme
        <https://edge.launchpad.net/human-icon-theme>:
        	./slides/icons/accessibility.png (from apps/access.svg)
        	./slides/icons/docs.png (from apps/help-browser.svg)
        	./slides/icons/evolution.png (from apps/evolution.svg)
        	./slides/icons/openoffice.png (from apps/ooo-writer.svg)
        	./slides/icons/ubuntu-logo (from places/start-here.svg)

        ./slides/icons/clock.png is from gnome-panel-clock.svg in
        gnome-panel. The
        icon is created by Lapo Calamandrei and licensed under GNU GPL
        2.0.

        ./slides/icons/gnome-app-install.png is from
        gnome-app-install.svg in
        the project gnome-app-install. The icon is created by Jakub
        Steiner and
        licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0.

        The Human Icon Theme is licensed under the Creative Commons
        Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5.

Still way more to go. I will try to get that done soon, just to keep
doors open.

Another option, possibly more logical, would be to drop the existing
icons and get all icons from one source (eg: the Human theme from bzr,
which has more icons; the Breathe theme; or the newest GNOME icon theme,
which has big icons). Having an icon the same as a given application is
not really needed; it would be way more fun if these were all customized
for the slideshow, anyway.

Another possibility is to do this in a more organized fashion from the
start, by having the icons made at build time from their own svg files,
which also allows way more freedom in adjusting design without turmoil.
I am going to address that idea in this branch:
<https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubiquity-slideshow/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/madsrh-layout>
I learnt that the fancy icons Mads suggested can easily be made at build
time with Imagemagick, which can also turn SVGs to PNGs. This way, icons
that are distributed could easily be listed in one central place that
keeps itself up to date. Even if opposition appears for that design, the
build script would be nice to have.

Thanks,

Dylan