ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

New middle slides rolling in, maybe :)

I have finally started to polish up the middle slides of the slideshow.
Progress in this branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubiquity-slideshow/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/middle-tweaks
(Anyone here can push to it, by the way).

I am adding meat to them, but trying to keep it all in reasonably
bite-sized pieces. Hopefully it's working. So far I have just changed
Firefox and Rhythmbox slides.

The following thoughts have emerged from the rubble so far:

Conclusion must go as the last point in the slide. This sounds obvious,
but I realized that this has not been the case at all! Lots of slides
just trail off without justifying their existence to anyone. At the end
of the slide about Rhythmbox and media stuff, I added "Just plug in an
MP3 player to start synchronizing your music collection, or insert a CD
to copy its music to your computer." This makes a lot of sense to me.
First we told the user that Rhythmbox sounds kind of neat, but we have
to make it relevant for them and we have to give them a quick, easy
entrance to really start using it. Two things that sprang to mind
naturally:
* Some people have their music collections on their MP3 players! (Which
is the point that was already there and eloquently written).
* Some people (believe it or not) use CDs.
Rhythmbox caters to both of them here. By quickly saying "get started by
doing this quick and easy step that hopefully suits you!", we leave that
section on an inviting note and hopefully get a user who Will pop a
music CD in to start exploring the world of nifty crossfading music
players and podcasting.

I really messed with the Totem / Rhythmbox slide, actually, since it now
has a big fat point about free media formats and how we don't ship the
ones that need license fees. I think I gave it a friendly enough tone,
but it is fairly big...

We need to use the names from the menu where it matters, as opposed to
the jargon names. This has changed a bit in Karmic.

The F-Spot slide could do with mirroring the structure of the Rhythmbox
one.
The Empathy slide could be an order of magnitude more useful.
Accessibility slide still needs to mention Appearance preferences in the
context of changing fonts and applying high contrast themes. It should
also say what to do for accessibility preferences instead of just "we
have you covered" followed by silence.
"OpenOffice.org" slide needs to not start every point with
"OpenOffice.org," but I think it's otherwise pretty solid.

The start and end slides (welcome.html and documentation.html), as well
as the software-store slide (installing-software.html) have been
rewritten in the last couple days. I'm tempted to figure out how to add
comments to these pot files and declare those strings frozen fairly
quickly into the beta, unless there are some objections. Hoping for some
comments on the middle point of welcome.html. I took the key information
from part of the Ubuntu Promise to fit in there, but I am not sure if it
flows well enough.

Thanks!
--
Dylan McCall