ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

Pondering a UDS-Q session for installer slideshows

So, with ubiquity-slideshow happy for Ubuntu 12.04, it's time to think
about the future! (And maybe 12.04.1, but that's later). There are a
bunch of things on my mind:

      * I keep asking for late freeze exceptions for the Ubuntu
        slideshow, pretty well as a rule. This happens because of the
        screenshots — specifically because the screenshots need to
        happen after the default wallpaper arrives, and the default
        wallpaper has no reason to arrive quickly. This distracts the
        release team from more important stuff :(
      * What else needs to be done to get things releasing in a sane
        fashion? Can all the binary packages we have work under the same
        release schedule? On a related note, are they all happy?
      * We need to support deeper localization. Screenshots, the Twitter
        thing (maybe?). For this we need a faster process to do stuff,
        and we need a way to put translation data on the web (because
        there's no room on the CD), ideally with capacity for
        server-side scripting.
      * Who is writing this thing? I can keep poking at it, but there
        might be someone with a real talent and (/ or) enthusiasm for
        this kind of writing. I'd like to find this person and reward
        him or her in advance with free cookies.
      * New scheme for branches, creating the release-specific branch at
        the start of a cycle instead of at the end of it.

Lots of stuff to chat about. Doesn't all have to happen right away,
doesn't _all_ have to be chatted about, but it'll be nice to start going
in that direction.

With that somewhat big list in mind, I'm thinking of making a UDS-Q
session to figure out where things are (especially for the other
slideshows that aren't vanilla Ubuntu!) and what happens next.
…And (maybe) how to do it!

Before I write a blueprint and all that, I'd like to test the waters.
Would anyone here be interested such a session (either remotely or in
person)? Is there anything else you would like to do there?

Bye :)

Dylan

Follow ups