ubuntu-389-directory-server team mailing list archive

Re: What is our progress of introducing 389 to Jaunty?

I have only been trying to get my sipwitch package in since the start of
Jaunty.  But yes, I agree, and not just speaking about 389, or even
sipwitch, we do have clearly ready packages waiting in revu that seem to
get stalled or otherwise forgotten after they have been worked on by the
original submitter, corrected, and are now basically ready for archive.
Looking at some of them, this has been the case even over multiple
Ubuntu releases.  It is also not that we have an overwhelming number of
such packages waiting that I can see.  I think this is bad because when
this happens it clearly discourages further participation in the
process, and that is not what anyone wants to see happen.

I will add that while it could make sense to go through Debian and then
try to get a package into Ubuntu as a merge request, my own personal
experiences in Debian in respect to getting new packages in if you do
not know anyone there have actually been far worse to date, and over a
period of years.

In the case of 389, I find it particularly unfortunate that nobody had
chosen to look at it before me, especially given that it was identified
as a spec for Karmic and topic at UDS, for things like the naming issues
could clearly have been identified and resolved early, and other issues
were clearly small and easy to resolve.  At present I see no reason for
it not to move forward, although I choose not to review each related
package as I had hoped others who could advocate and archive it would
look at the remaining ones and would become involved.

Maybe the place to start is to contact whomever was responsible for the
spec at UDS.  Another approach I could suggest is to bring it up at one
of the community council irc meetings and/or a related Karmic release
meeting.  Maybe I should also look at the remaining packages in the interim.

Leung, Kai-Cheung wrote:
> I saw the packages being uploaded to our ppa and revu.  However there
> are no movements in REVU and are many 389-related packages are not
> reviewed.
>
> David, We really need to get our packages approved and entered into
> Jaunty before the 389 can make unto Jaunty!
begin:vcard
fn:David Sugar
n:Sugar;David
org:Canonical