Re: Translation problem

Hello Daan,

Yes, this is the perfect place for such e-mail. And huge thanks for
you for letting us know about this issue. We never got much feedback
from any translators, and that's probably why we were not aware of
this issue.
You are totally right that it should be us who take care about proper
strings format. While translators are required to be somehow familiar
with the original application before translating, we cannot expect
that all strings that are 'split' into separate words will be actually
translatable - other languages may even require to switch the order of
words to make the sentence gramatically correct, but that's possible
only when the strings are not split, and are using varables instead.
In some cases it will not be possible to simply merge words into one
variable. For example, consider the opportunities filter (collection,
category). There the words are separated by other widgets
(combo-boxes), which means these separate words land into separate UI
elements. While we can use variables in a string to insert a number,
substring or more, this won't work for biulding the UI... [However,
this could be solved by using a fake string, that is the interpreted
and split by the application on startup, so that the application packs
the UI elements as ordered in the translated string... yet that's a
bit more work].
Would you mind filling in a bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-viewer/+filebug  so
that we could track it's status easily (please provide an example
string:) )? It looks like the accomplishment translations are not
affected by this issue, due to the nature of their strings. If the
problem is present it daemon's strings too, mark the bug as 'also
affects' ubuntu-accomplishments-daemon.
We are very close to 0.3 release, so we won't manage to fix it before
it. We'll make sure to improve our strings for the next release,
though ;)
Great thanks for being involved in translations and for your time to

Rafał Cieślak