script run time

A new script recently sparked a discussion on how long we should allow for scripts to run and also about those scripts using other resources like network bandwidth. Right now we have no guidelines, but I'd like to start a discussion on perhaps setting some.

We had a new script recently added that was tested out at initial time of 2 minutes, run every 15 minutes. Much of the time the script was running it was waiting on I/O, but still using resources. We've since modified this script so that it takes 1 minute every hour, meaning it's 2x faster and now only runs hourly. The question is, is this quick enough? Do we want to have an execution time limit in the daemon? And finally is it okay to have longer running scripts as long as they don't run on each accomplishment check?

When you think about this also consider that these scripts have to run on the validation server and that's a resource that is shared with everyone using the system.

Thoughts?

--

Matthew (Matt) Fischer
LP: http://launchpad.net/~mfisch