research ....

I thought I'd ask one or two colleagues how they would react to Ubuntu
advertising - and what features might tempt them to give it a try.  One
said that support was his biggest need - someone to reassure him and
hold his hand.  This is something we're really strong on.  Another said
that now he had his computers working well on Windows 7 he would be very
reluctant even to try anything.  This confirms my suspicion that anyone
using anything really up-to-date isn't part of our useful target.

Another colleague has a large collection of Libronix books that cost
over £1000, so he is not part of the target, and as he rightly says,
there needs to be clear information on the website about this kind of
need.  There also needs to be lobbying in the direction of Libronix.
I've e-mailed of course, but it took many, many Mac users to persuade
them to produce a Mac version.

Maybe the website ought to have clear information as to which of the
user's files are portable and which are not (Autocad, M$ Publisher ...).
The last thing anyone here wants if for someone to go to a lot of
trouble and find they can't do the one thing that's most important to
them.

Interestingly, when I asked the question, I only mentioned Ubuntu.  Each
of the responses used the words 'operating system', and the responders
were quite clear that Windows is just an 'operating system' among
others.

Another colleague asks if approaches have been made to Which, and can we
persuade mags such as PC magazine etc to carry an article.  Job here for
you Canonical guys.

Regards,		Barry Drake

--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.

Follow ups