Re: Not much activity .....

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Barry Drake <b.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there .....  I'm just wondering if anything is happening with Ubuntu
> Advertising?  There seems to have been no activity at all recently.
> Personally, I think with a minimum of support from Canonical, we could
> move things along a great deal.  Can anyone suggest how we might push
> that angle?

Really, I do not believe that getting funds from Canonical is the way
to go. LoCo funded material is way more effective and fun.

> There was a lot of good enthusiastic work on the group initially.  I
> guess we all lost enthusiasm when nothing actually happened.  My view:
> no budget, no active support from Canonical work together to make our
> efforts begin to seem a bit futile.

Ubuntu needs to be seen as a community project and a venture by
Canonical. And the two need to be seen and kept separately also when
thinking in terms of marketing and advertising.

SpreadUbuntu was created with the idea of being a (1) marketing
material repository and a (2) campaign site for the community.

(1) materialized and it exists today: http://spreadubuntu.org/ - It
took 5 years since the idea was started. The last 2,5 years went to
materializing the idea and creating and finalizing the product we have
today. Major work was done by Evan Boldt <echowarp> and other members
of the community.

I thought maybe that Ubuntu Advertising would become (2) in due time,
but that has not happened. Would you be interested in checking the
possibility to create a cycle based campaign site? I know of several
people that would like to involve in such a project. The key is
perseverance and perspective :-)

> Your thoughts?

Would you like to join? If so, let me know and I will kickstart this
intiative. Once again.

If other would like to do so as well, please feel free to answer to
this email :-) Thanks in advance!

> Kind regards,           Barry.
> --
> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Regards,
-
Rubén Romero