Re: [ubuntu-marketing] Press releases .....

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 12:14 +0100, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi there ....  A few days ago, Laura Czajkowski made the suggestion that
> Ubuntu Advertising and/or Ubuntu Marketing might look at preparing and
> sending press releases to appropriate media.  Since then, I've been
> looking at what happens at present.  All I can find are spasmodic
> releases from Canonical which sometimes reflect the state of play with
> the latest Ubuntu release.
>
> Do any of you know of anything more than this?
>
> If not, could I suggest a sub group committed to circulating a regular
> media news letter (two or three times a year).  I'll be happy to receive
> contributions, collate them and write it up, then circulate it.  It
> would need to target computer magazines, press generally, radio and TV.
>
> Are there any opinions?  And any volunteers to feed news items into
> this?

Hi Barry,
   I'm happy to sign up for review if it would help.  In terms of
content, there are the release notes that are coming out with the
milestone announcements that probably have useful fodder to be culled
for this sort of thing.   And we do have 2 major development releases a
year as well as 2 LTS point releases ;)   The Release Overview section
and some of the highlevel overview information, in particular.  See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

   Also, we're in process of putting together A3 release, but the A1 and
A2 milestone release notes from Oneiric, can be reviewed.
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/TechnicalOverview/Alpha1
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/TechnicalOverview/Alpha2
We try to highlight whats making a first appearance for developers, but
it might be interesting to the wider audience as well?

  On a related topic, if there is a contact or two interested in
participating in proofreading the announces before they go out,  I'd
very much appreciate a set of editorial eyes on them a day before each
milestone release.  Please let me know if there are volunteers?

Thanks, Kate
(Ubuntu Release Manager)