Re: Press releases .....

On 02/08/11 12:14, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi there ....  A few days ago, Laura Czajkowski made the suggestion that
> Ubuntu Advertising and/or Ubuntu Marketing might look at preparing and
> sending press releases to appropriate media.  Since then, I've been
> looking at what happens at present.  All I can find are spasmodic
> releases from Canonical which sometimes reflect the state of play with
> the latest Ubuntu release.
>
> Do any of you know of anything more than this?
>
> If not, could I suggest a sub group committed to circulating a regular
> media news letter (two or three times a year).  I'll be happy to receive
> contributions, collate them and write it up, then circulate it.  It
> would need to target computer magazines, press generally, radio and TV.
>
> Are there any opinions?  And any volunteers to feed news items into
> this?

I write short articles for any local and other media (that I can think
of) that will have me...
I can recommend this sort of local approach. An article is different
from a press release  or news in that it is a short feature or
information comment for interest and information. Most media are
heavily based upon 'news'. The consequence of this is that only the
new, first event, is 'news'. If say, a miracle occurs every month,
then subsequent miracles are not really 'news'.

In one short article for my U3A group, in the national magazine,
nearly two years ago, I deliberately added my email address inviting
direct contact because it was not a software magazine. I received more
than two dozen responses which I was pleased to follow up. Also some
much later ones, in fact one response came through last week!

My view is that one level of advertising is simply to inform of the
existence of FLOSS and Ubuntu. The people can follow up at their own pace.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user