ubuntu-allstars team mailing list archive

Re: Thanks for Friday!

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Jeremy Foshee
<jeremy.foshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 12:30:44PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> I would only ask that it be more clear when these practice sessions are,
>> so that I can plan to attend. I sought out a few of the people looking
>> for information as to when I could come, and it was never very clear
>> when they were happening. Maybe I asked the wrong people. An email near
>> the beginning of the week with a reminder for those of us who aren't as
>> close with the the current allstars would go a long way to that end.
>>
>> To the point about diplomacy, I had no idea that I'd been asked to sit
>> out the live performance, though the setup of the stage made it pretty
>> intimidating to just get up on stage and grab a mic, which was a
>> departure from the setup in Brussels (which was my only point of
>> reference).
>>
>> I did turn up on Thursday, quite late, for that last practice session
>> and asked to sing and was told to "just get up there and sing", which I
>> did when I felt it wouldn't interfere with what you guys were doing. I
>> did try several times to offer my voice up for a lead vocal but it
>> seemed others had already claimed songs and practiced them, which I
>> really don't want to interfere with!
>
> Yeah, this was one of the things that we found really difficult to nail
> down so that practices could be communicated. A lot of the hangups were
> due to last minute dinner plans and late meetings. My personal desire
> was that we would be able to do some sort of practicing each night, but
> that was dificult as well due to the same items mentioned above.
>
> I think we will only be able to continue our progress on making this
> successful. I will try to work with the major sponsors to be sure we can
> schedule practices before we reach the venue for the next one.

I thought we did fairly well at communicating when/where practises
would be, but obviously we need to do better.  It'd be great to get
more participation.  One (maybe crazy) idea is put the practices in
the UDS schedule.

Also, I attended Cloud Expo this past week and received an email every
day with subject "Welcome to Cloud Expo, Day N".  It was brief, but
contained some highlights about the day and updates about talks that
had shifted times.  Maybe we should be doing that as part of UDS?  In
addition to a daily update about specific UDS sessions, it could be a
place to mention things like band practice, the pizza party the
Florida LoCo threw, etc.  We could publish an email address,
uds-tidbits@xxxxxxxxxx or something, that people could send notices of
interesting topics to, that could then be compiled into the daily
blast out.

Thanks,
J.