ubuntu-answer team mailing list archive

Raring: gksu and gksudo are not part of standard install

Apologies, If you have already seen this but It was the first message I
tried to send using my ubuntu.com email address and I'm not sure it
worked so I'm sending again from my normal address

I discovered from the beta2 CD image that with 13.04 gksu and gksudo
are
part of a standard Ubuntu install.  I have not checked the other
variants however.

I have checked with the development team on IRC #ubuntu-devel and this
is not a bug.  gksu and gksudo are not the preferred way to use GUI
applications as root any more and while you can install both on Raring
with:

  sudo apt-get install gksu

It is likely that these will be removed future versions of Ubuntu. I
have summarised what I was advised in  this answer / question on Ask
Ubuntu

http://askubuntu.com/a/284717/107450

Please be aware of this change in policy when answering questions on
the
forums and updating documentation.

This page will need to be updated
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

and  we can probably think of other web pages this will apply to.

----

Warren Hill https://launchpad.net/~warren-hill