Re: Click Package Version and Other SCA Fields

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM, James Tait <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 03/06/13 20:40, Martin Albisetti wrote:

> >> And now I've re-read what you wrote, I'll try again!
> >>
> >> We should try to find out if and when this will be supporting
> >> ClickPackages and be involved in that conversation.  Do we know
> >> who's responsible for rnr?

The u1-team :) It's not been given any priority for a while, but the main
people who worked on it where mvo, achuni, lukasz and myself.

> > I was expecting that by re-using the existing model, we'd get R&R
> > for free. The person to talk to about this is Michael Nelson.
>
> Then he should be privy to this conversation.  Fixing by way of the
> mailing list, where this conversation should have taken place
> originally.  Sorry about that.

Ratings and reviews is just a very simple API for accepting and
distributing ratings and reviews of packages. The only UI that it has is
for moderators who can review any reviews that have been flagged as spam or
obscene etc:

https://reviews.ubuntu.com/reviews/

As you can see, it's not getting much attention - currently 681 reviews
flagged for moderation.

You can check the api urls too see the details, but there's a little client
library which simplifies the process for you - you can read about it here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rnr-developers/rnr-server/rnrclient/view/head:/doc/quickstart.rst

That client library is used in both the existing USC to display and send
new ratings/reviews, as well as on the existing app directory (
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/) for display of both ratings stats and
detailed reviews. Happy to talk more about the details there if needed.

As it is, I don't think it could support click-packages straight away, but
it should be minimal work for a 1.1 api which supports click packages (or
is click only etc.). The main questions that come to mind are: (1) are
package names for click packages unique or will we need to base the api on
the fully-qualified "com.example:mypackage" or similar qualifier, and (2)
will we care about ubuntu releases for this data (currently you grab the
reviews for a specific ubuntu release etc.), or just the package version.

-Michael