Re: Translations of metadata

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM, James Tait <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The localisation is on the fieldType, not the field itself.  So we
> need to declare a fieldType for each of the languages Solr supports
> that we want to make available, then declare a field per language for
> each of the localisable fields.
>
> For the user-facing portion of this, I propose something like the
> following:
>
>  - If the query specifies a localisation (e.g. q=description_en:foo),
>    we should use it.
>  - Similarly, if a specific localised result field is requested (e.g.
>    fl=description_en), we should use it.
>  - In the general case, clients should use the non-localised field name
>    in queries (q=description) and result fields (fl=description) and
>    provide an Accept-Language header, which we will use to choose the
>    localised variant.
>
> This keeps the query API flexible, but avoids unnecessary complexity
> in the general case.

Does this mean that the client needs to explicitly tell us which
fields it's searching? I assume it can be more than one field at the
same time in that case?  I don't know what the plan is for the client
(hi Robert! Hi Alecu!), but I would expect the general case to search
against all fields.

--
Martin