Re: Do not remove flag, how it affects us.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37:44AM +0100, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Are folks OK with this approach?  I've alluded to it in a few places
> > before, but I don't think I've spelled it out clearly.
>
> I am ok with it, the only downside I see to it is the same it has on
> Android, in that when there are updates you end up using 2x the space
> you should because the system version can't be removed. That's a
> *huge* pain in cheap android phones, BTW.

That seems intrinsic.  If you have an unremovable version then you have
to keep it around somewhere, and if you don't put it in a read-only
location then it's rather too trivially removable.

IMO the solution for manufacturers of cheap Android phones is not to
preload shovelware, not that I expect anyone to listen to me. :-P

> > > 2) On the app scope, we have to check it so we don't offer the option t
> > > remove (alecu?)
> >
> > This might need a bit of support from click to tell it which
> > installation root an app is installed in (a synthetic property added to
> > "click list --manifest" or similar).
>
> Agreed. We need this to be cheap to get because it will affect every
> time these apps previews is loaded.

Yep.  I expect the scope needs to call "click list --manifest" anyway,
so it should all be in one place.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]