Re: Uninstalling apps: is app currently running?

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 09:58:32AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> For just prototyping something up there are a set of tools in
> upstart-app-launch-tools that can be nicely used with shell scripts.
> Assuming you have that installed you can do something like:
>

>         $ upstart-app-launch gedit
>         $ upstart-app-list
>         gedit
>         $ upstart-app-pid gedit
>         31940

Great, thanks.  That's nice.  Looks like we aren't yet launching apps
this way from Unity; do you know when that's due to happen?

> In the non-prototyping stage you can use libupstart-app-launch which has
> similar functions in it.  I wasn't planning on the tools package being
> installed on an image or anything else, it was more to facilitate people
> working on the system.  I guess there's no reason they couldn't, but
> they'd probably need to be made more robust and have man pages then.

click is still in Python; I plan to rewrite it in C for 14.04, I think,
but for 13.10 I'm a bit too dependent on rapid prototyping.  I guess
that would mean I'd need either upstart-app-launch-tools or Python
bindings to libupstart-app-launch.

FWIW I think it'd be really handy to have upstart-app-launch-tools in
the image; it'd be great for the situations when you're trying to debug
what's wrong on somebody else's device.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]