Re: Registering devices

On 14-01-30 03:34 PM, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> One advantage of doing it on first boot is the possibility of letting the user
> decide a "human readable label" for the device that will be consistent all
> through the device's life.
>
> It all depends on what features and user experiences we want to implement.
>
> For example: user reinstalls device, then the store suggests "want to reinstall
> all your apps".
>
> That implies that the store will know this newly installed device is the same
> one as a device the user used before, which then implies we should ID it
> somehow, either via the human-friendly label or some HW serial number.

Why should we limit that to reinstalls of the same device? If I get a
replacement device, as long as the hardware is the same, shouldn't I get my apps
reinstalled?

Actually, I would probably want to get my apps reinstalled even if I changed
hardware. (Of course, certain apps that aren't compatible would be excluded...)

> If we use a serial number, there are a number of privacy concerns (which could
> be alleviated using a hash? No?) If we use the human-friendly label, then we
> need to let the user change it somehow and preserve the device's identity.
>
> I suspect we should first come up with user stories and then design the feature.

I agree. The user stories should determine what the minimum required information
is needed. It would be preferable to use a generated UUID that can be
changed/regenerated by the end user rather than hardware serial numbers or mac
addresses that have privacy implications.

Marc