Re: Click package index and architecture restrictions

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM, James Tait <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are a couple of other approaches we could take to this:

[option 1]

>  - we only add architecture:all to other architecture queries
>    * Queries that don't specify an architecture will not filter on
>      architecture, and will get everything.
>    * Queries that specify "architecture:all" will return just those
>      packages with architecture:all.
>    * Queries that specify a recognised architecture will get those
>      packages that list that architecture PLUS those packages with
>      architecture:all.
>    * Queries will only need to send a single value in the architecture
>      header to see the full list of packages available to them.

[option 3]

> Of these options, I think I prefer the second - package details will
> still be explicit (i.e. will still contain "architecture": ["all"]

Me too. That was the implementation I assumed when I sent the email,
and sorry for not being more explicit but I haven't imaged the other 2
option so that's why I didn't list them.

>> Currently the search results do not return the arch info, so a
>> searches with no arch will return information that will require a
>> new query per result to be able to show archs to clients, so once
>> we change the behavior when no arch is sent in search queries, we
>> should be returning the arch in the result.
>
> Would we add this to *all* search results, or just those where no
> architecture was specified in the query?  It's probably redundant if
> the query specified an architecture, but it's inconsistent if we leave
> it out.

I was thinking on this as well, and I wanted Alejandro's opinion on
this one. I think I prefer to return the arch only in searches that do
not specify one.

Thanks!