Re: Automating collection of verbose PulseAudio daemon logs

Daniel Chen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> As the release of 10.04 LTS looms imminent, we should rework how we
> ask for the collection of verbose PA logs used in troubleshooting. The
> manual process currently outlined at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log has served its purpose.
> Nowadays we should extend the apport hook in the pulseaudio source
> package to do the procedure for us. (This e-mail is mostly a
> braindump, as coding it at this hour isn't a good idea.)
>
> pacmd set-log-level 4
> <request that user perform steps to reproduce symptom>
> grep pulseaudio\\[ /var/log/user.log > ~/verbose.log
> <add ~/verbose.log to bug report>
> pacmd set-log-level 2

I agree that it would be very helpful to collect the verbose PA logs
automatically. A few assorted thoughts:

* As a first simple step, we could consider dumping "pactl list" and/or
"pactl stat" and add as apport data.

* A problem with the above would be that startup data is not collected,
i e bugs occurring at startup of PA won't be collected.

* Checkbox could do what you suggest automatically during the audio tests.

* I'm not a Linux logging guru just yet, and I'm not sure it is a good
idea, but is it possible without too much time and trouble to have
pulseaudio in a separate log? Just like I have five printer logs
(lpr.log, lpr.log.1, and three zipped ones). That way one could have
debug logging on all the time, without spamming the syslog.

// David