Re: Karmic Caveats: "Another process locking the sound card"

Brad Figg wrote:
> David,
>
> I'm curious to know how specific to karmic this particular issue
> really is and how frequently we are seeing it.

Perhaps Daniel has a better overview, but I would say not that
frequently. I believe the main problem with sl-modem-daemon has been
solved (thanks to Daniel), and timidity is not used *that* much. But
once in a while somebody is using an unusual app where the developer of
that app prefers to use "plughw:0" instead of "default", which then
turns out to cause trouble.

There is also another difficulty - if the sound card is busy when
Pulseaudio is starting up, PA skips the sound card (and adds a null sink
if no other sound cards are available), but if the sound card becomes
busy e g if an app uses plughw directly, that will just cause PA to be
unable to output to that sink for the time that the app uses it. This is
somewhat inconsistent, and perhaps something to discuss upstream with
PA. I would prefer PA to add sinks (and sources) even if they are busy
and try to grab them later, should they become available.

> This seems like a
> good section to extract and make it's own wiki page (which I will
> happily do).

I don't see the need for that at the moment, but if you do, go ahead.

By the way, I will very likely be at both LAC and UDS-M. I guess that so
will you? See you there! :-)

// David