Re: Kernel Triage Summit Call for Experts

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:51:48AM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 2010-06-17 20:51, Jeremy Foshee wrote:
> > Folks, this is a call to all of those out there who devote a great deal
> > of their time to specific subsystems and related components to the
> > kernel, whether it be userspace or kernelspace. I am interested in
> > getting an idea of your willingness to participate in a kernel triage
> > summit geared toward expanding understanding of kernel bugs as well as
> > focused training in triage aspects of subsystem bugs.
> >
> > I know there are those of you who spend a great deal of time during the
> > week working on these issues, and the last thing you want to do with
> > your weekend is work some more, but I am hopeful thatm by providing this
> > type of training, we can get the highest quality of advanced bug reports
> > in your hands as developers and contributors. The idea being that, by
> > giving a little work, you can possibly save yourself a lot of work.
> >
> > The subsystems I have been specifically asked about are:
> >
> > Graphics/KMS/DRM/X
> > Audio/Pulse
> > USB stack
> > Firewire Stack
> > Bluetooth stack
> > ACPI
> > sysfs/filesystem debugging for newbies
>
> As for Audio/Pulse:
>
> I guess Daniel T Chen still has the best overview and knowledge in this
> area, but if he for some reason can't make it, I guess both Luke, Brad
> and myself (and possibly more people) know enough to make such a session
> useful. The classroom lesson Daniel had[1] would probably make a good
> starting point.

Yes, he and I discussed it briefly at UDS. I'll let you know when it
looks like it will be and we can hash out who can attend and present. My
goal here is to provide either one or several classes to enable those
triagers who are interested in audio bug triage to provide  a better
class of bug to the developers while at the same time improving both
their knowledge and our wiki documentation on the specific subsystem in
the Kernel/ wiki namespace. A beneficial side-effect of this is that
people interested in these subsystems can get a basic idea of what they
do and how to file an effective bug off the bat.

~JFo