Sound troubleshooting documentation

Hi ubuntu-doc team (ubuntu-audio-dev cc:ed),

There are several guides for sound troubleshooting on help.ubuntu.com:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingGuide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

In addition to the more official documentation at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

...which I recently made up-to-date.

In short, we don't need four pages. In addition, I'm worried about the quality:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingGuide

This seems to be the best of the three, even if a few things needs fixing. It also has some nice screenshots, and some of this could actually be copy-pasted into the official documentation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

This one seems less maintained than the other two, and is a little of a mixed bag of correct information, outdated information, and things that can break your system. It is also a mixup of generic instructions and machine specific workarounds, which I'd prefer to keep separate if possible.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

This one contains random steps and terminal commands to execute, with very little information about what command is to aid what problem. And for information collection, we have better scripts/instructions to do that, both in the wiki [1] and through apport.

Especially for the last page, I'd prefer to remove it altogether, but I also realise that someone has put a lot of effort in writing and maintaining that information. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but of course I don't want people to break their systems either.

What do you suggest? How can we improve the quality of the sound troubleshooting documentation?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log