Re: Sound troubleshooting documentation

On 02/06/2012 03:48 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
This guide is meant to help people gather the info required to post a
good question on Launchpad or for posting a bug-report
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
It is well maintained and kept up-to-date.

But, those 17 (!) steps do not provide what we need. What we need for initial bug triaging (or answering questions), is alsa-info, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo and in case of PulseAudio related stuff, a PulseAudio log according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log Or even simpler, you can just run the "ubuntu-bug audio" command, and it will attach all the relevant information to the bug report.

I think any trouble-shooting steps should really start with
1. Are the speakers plugged in and switched on. Many need their own
separate power-supply and have their own on/off button or dial on the
front.
2. Is the little data-lead plugged into the tiny light-green hole? [a
nice photo of a generic plate with a big green arrow pointing at the
right hole]
3. Have other speakers been tried or the same speakers tried on a
different system?

I disagree: this makes the assumption that the user has a problem with his speakers. And on most laptops, you don't even have a speaker jack.

We have problems with internal mics, headphones, external mics, internal speakers, crackling sound, random applications, HDMI, and a lot of other things; speakers connected through a line-out jack is not even one of the most common bug reports.

The problem i always have about deleting pages is that information and
effort might be lost without the good stuff being transferrred to the
new pages.

Yeah, that's the way I feel about
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingGuide
that contain some useful stuff and some nice screenshots.

On the other hand we really do need to delete a ton of stuff
to bring the wiki up-to-date.

If so,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
is the first to remove.

How using redirects? If this page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
was redirected to one of the other pages then people could still look at
the history of the page and get at the work they put in to move it
somewhere better.

Maybe? I don't know and would like to hear more opinions about this.

Anyway, the problem I always have is that I never say thanks for all the pages that are correct and informative, only complain about the pages that are broken :-) So thanks to the doc team for all the maintenance!

Regards from
Tom :)

--- On *Mon, 6/2/12, David Henningsson