Re: ALSA 1.0.27, do we want to run the alsactl daemon?

On 05/01/2013 02:30 AM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
Hey folks,
So I am in the middle of packaging alsa 1.0.27 for saucy and putting it in the alsa-testing PPA to get some testing, and I am wondering whether we all think we should run the new alsactl daemon mode that helps with hotplugged hardware when its connected/disconnected. I am of a mind to run it as upstream are less likely to support a config where its not used, but I'd be interested in other people's opinions. It does help us cover the small number of use cases where pulse is not being used.

I'm going to go ahead and write an upstart job for it and enable it by default in the PPA for testing, but we can always revert to what we have now.

Thoughts welcome.

Luke

Good question. For systems with PulseAudio there could still be alsamixer controls you want to save, but that PulseAudio does not save for you.

However, in the trade-off between keeping our system footprint low and feature completion; this daemon makes no difference for the vast majority of our users. Hence I'd lean towards writing an upstart job for it but disabling it by default.

It would make sense to run it for derivatives that do not run PulseAudio, if such derivatives still exist?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic