Re: Bluez 5, PulseAudio 6, and ALSA 1.0.28

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM, David Henningsson <
david.henningsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More and more distros are switching to Bluez 5, including Debian testing.
> One of the major blockers for us w r t switching to Bluez 5 has been the
> lack of HFP/HSP support, i e, no recording from headsets.
> However, support for this has recently started showing up on the PA
> mailinglist. The support comes in two forms, both with oFono as backend,
> and without external dependencies, like in Bluez 4.
>
> The bluez 5 backend for HFP/HSP (ofono or native) will, as it looks now,
> be switchable at compile time. I suspect we want the ofono backend on
> Ubuntu Touch and native on the desktop (right?). We need to deal with this
> somehow.
>
> PulseAudio 6.0 release cycle has not yet started, as we should first try
> to get the bluez 5 patches in. But hopefully we should start the release
> process within two months and then there is a release 1-2 months from that.
> (No guarantees.)
>
> ALSA 1.0.28 contains a few minor fixes and improvements, e g better 2.1
> surround support, some support for cards with > 4 HDMI devices. It's been
> out there for a few months.
>
> So, what's the plan? I suggest we upload ALSA 1.0.28 in the beginning of
> the 15.04 cycle, as early as feasible. There shouldn't be anything stopping
> it, and some PA 6.0 stuff makes use of the stuff in alsa-lib 1.0.28.
> We could then wait for PulseAudio 6.0 to be relased, and after uploading
> that, switch to Bluez 5.
>
> But I just wanted to give you a heads up about what's going on in the
> audio stack, and also gather your opinions/concerns in case you want to do
> things differently?

I think that plan is sound.

It's true that the only blocker for BlueZ 5 was HSP/HFP support, and
migrating to BlueZ 5 has been long awaited. I'm all for finally going
through with this; but I agree it should wait until the start of 15.04
rather than trying to rush things in now.

--

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.trudel-lapierre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx