ubuntu-boot team mailing list archive

Re: udev 124 vs. udev 136 (GIT 34ac42b) vs. Alan Jenkins' threading patches

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:43 +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> In our previous test, we noticed an increase in time in initramfs
> processing (there was an increase in trigger time as well), and we
> strangely notice that again here.  This still doesn't make sense, since
> udevtrigger is unmodified!

In hindsight, it makes perfect sense.

Since udev is processing events faster, it's actually able to process
many things before udevtrigger itself exits!  Many of the side-effects
include the appearance of new kobjects; so a faster udev means that /sys
expands while udevtrigger is running - so udevtrigger has more to do!

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx