ubuntu-boot team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Call for Ubuntu Boot testing
Are you running Karmic Alpha 5, or an even-more up to date Karmic?
Are you feeling adventurous?
Then I could do with your help testing some boot updates.
Firstly though, I would ask that if you have coursework or homework due
really soon; or something else that you really urgently need to do with
your computer, that you pass this by. While I'm pretty confident things
will work, if they don't, Murphy's law says they won't for you.
Secondly if you're using network filesystems, please don't try this just
yet - I'll follow up when the necessary update for those is ready.
What you need to do:
- Install bootchart and reboot.
- Check that this gives you a baseline bootchart in /var/log/bootchart.
- Add the ubuntu-boot PPA to your APT config:
echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-boot/ppa/ubuntu karmic main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-boot-ppa
- If you're running up to date Karmic, you can just "upgrade" from
here; otherwise something like the following should work:
apt-get install anacron at avahi-daemon cron dbus hal hostname \
module-init-tools network-manager procps rsyslog \
initscripts sysvinit-utils sysv-rc udev upstart
- Make sure the install/upgrade is successful.
- Reboot again.
- Obviously check that it boots, and that you get a new bootchart
- Mail *both* of these bootcharts to me (or the ubuntu-boot ML if you
want to share)
Scott James Remnant
Description: This is a digitally signed message part