[mrooney@xxxxxxxxx: Re: catterly wants to join]

Here is the latest application to the Bug Control team.

----- Forwarded message from Mike Rooney <mrooney@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:24:52 -0400
From: Mike Rooney <mrooney@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: catterly wants to join

Hi Brian!

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
>  part of the application process I need to ensure that the following
>  criteria are met.
>
>  1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
>  you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

This will certainly not be a problem. I consider patience and kindness
to be two of my virtues and I genuinely enjoy helping people and
improving projects. I have in fact signed the UCoC and am an Ubuntero.

>  2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
>  Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
>  that documentation?

I have read all of these and more, as linked from #ubuntu-bugs. I
originally had a few questions in regards to Invalid vs Won't Fix and
Feature Freeze Exceptions, but the people in #ubuntu-bugs cleared it
up for me.

>  3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
>  report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
>  information.

It should be free of sensitive user information such as passwords,
account numbers, private keys, etc.

This does bring up one question though. It says a bug can remain
private for its life and does not seem to say why you should or should
not change it to public. What are the disadvantages of making an
audited bug public that would cause someone to leave it private?

>  4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>  interested in helping out with?

Not specifically, though I am interested in Gnome, Rhythmbox, and
Firefox, to name a few, perhaps more than other issues.

>  5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
>  triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
>  process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
>  that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
>  it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
>  your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/136608

This is a bug that I found that was against an alpha of Gutsy and
hadn't been changed since its release, so I wanted to check with the
submitter to see if it was actually still an issue, or if it could be
marked invalid.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/78038 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/193617

These are two bugs that I suspect may be the same issue and am
awaiting feedback to further determine if they are. For the first one
I disagree with the priority, as per my comment. After discussion with
BugControl members in #ubuntu-bugs, the important of the second was
changed to High as I convinced them of the bad consequences and the
invalidity of the current behavior. Hopefully I can do some more
testing soon and mark one as a duplicate if it is the case.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/rhythmbox/+bug/76449 is a rhythmbox bug
which affected me personally and prompted me to search out an existing
bug, which I found, and work on it. The issue hadn't been updated in
awhile so I commented just to see if I could do anything. After I
confirmed it was still an issue in the version in a Hardy Alpha, I got
more concerned and registered for the bug tracker rhythmbox uses and
commented on the linked bug there, to try to get more information.
Unfortunately progress seems stagnant here so this may be a place
where I actually have to dig in to the code/project myself and try to
get this working.

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/checkgmail/+bug/201555 is a
bug which I experienced and found and confirmed. I would mark this as
Medium important if I could because gmail is a pretty widely used
service, and this bug renders checkgmail unusable to anyone but a
power user who can figure out what package to manually install. If you
have a minute, I wouldn't mind advice on what I could do next to help
this bug along, since it seems like a fairly simple issue.

Hopefully all of this has been sufficient. Thanks, let me know if I
can provide you with any more information, and I look forward to
becoming more involved in Ubuntu!

- Mike

--
Mike Rooney