Re: Application for the Bug Control Team - Mitch Towner (kermiac)

I have seen Mitch doing a fantastic job with triaging Ubuntu One bugs across
several packages, a big +1 from me.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchad.net/~statik/

On Feb 16, 2010 12:59 PM, "Mitch Towner" <mitch.towner.ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,
    I've been a member of the bugsquad for a couple of months now. A
lot of you will have seen me in the IRC channel (kermiac) helping out
where I can & giving advice to other new members. I think I'm ready to
join the Bug Control team now to help even more than I can at the moment.

   _Application_

   * Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes, I believe that I have been polite to bug reporters & I fully
intend to do so in the future. I tactfully dealt with one of the
recent "spammers" we have seen & I also cleaned up the majority of the
bug reports that were messed up. I have signed the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct & I believe that adhering to it is one of the many things that
makes people such as myself really feel the urge to give back the
Ubuntu community.

   *Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage
     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>, Bugs/Assignment
     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment>, Bugs/Status
     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status> and Bugs/Importance
     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance>? Do you have any
questions about that documentation?

I have read those wiki pages. I find myself using them & referring
them to others on a very regular basis to help with bug triaging. As
recently as today I sent an email to         a new bugsquad member who
appeared to need a little assistance/ guidance inviting him to join
#ubuntu-bugs & encouraging him to reads those documents. He later came
into the channel & thanked me for the advice.

   *What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
     crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage
     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage> for more information.

A bug should not be made public if it still contains a coredump file,
any personal information such as passwords, bank details, encryption
keys or other such personal information in the stacktrace file.

   * Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
     interested in helping out with?

I have found myself triaging a wide variety of bugs. My main interests
so far have been related to SRU's, Gnome desktop apps & sound related
bugs.

Here are a few of the SRU's I have worked on:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+source/sun-java5/+bug/484288
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcalctool/+bug/495551
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown-scripts-zg2/+bug/484131

   * Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
properly handle bugs. If there        is a bug in your list that does
not have an importance indicate what importance you would give it
after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in
      your list of bugs.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/512454
I diagnosed exactly where the problem was coming from & changed the
package. I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the
issue was in (Karmic) I updated the bug description to ensure it was
well understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault has been
resolved. I added a workaround for this issue to the bug report, then
marked as fix released. I asked perisa to set the importance to "low"
as there was an easy work around.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/520685
I diagnosed exactly where the problem was coming from & changed the
package. I updated the bug description to ensure it was well
understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault still existed in
a fully up-to-date lucid stock install. I added 2 workarounds for this
issue to the bug report. I then sent the bug upstream & linked the
upstream bug report to the LP bug report. I asked vish to set this to
"low" as there are 2 easy workarounds.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/debian/+source/ntp/+bug/511743
I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the issue was
in (Karmic). I also tested the issue in the current dev release
(lucid) to ensure that the fault still existed in a fully up-to-date
lucid stock install. I then sent the bug upstream & linked the
upstream bug report to the LP bug report. I asked hggdh to set the
importance to "low" as this issue had no effect on the usability of
the application.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+bug/517925
I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the issue was
in (Karmic) I updated the bug description to ensure it was well
understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault has been
resolved. I added a workaround for this issue to the bug report, then
marked as fix released. I asked perisa to set the importance to "low"
as there was an easy work around.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/511436
I asked the OP for more information to help further diagnose the
issue. I updated the title to better reflect the issue. I suggested a
possible fix. This did not resolve the issue, but lead to the OP
giving me more information that lead to me discovering the root cause
of his issues (a corrupted installation). After confirmation that the
issue was resolved by re-installing using a freshly downloaded ISO, I
marked the bug as invalid to close the bug report.

Thanks in advance for for taking the time to review my application.
Kind Regards,
Mitch Towner (kermiac)