Re: Application for Bug Control Membership

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:58:49 +0530
|| നൈജില്‍ || Nigel <nigelbabu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please find below my application for membership to Bug Control.
>
>  > Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> you or
>  > Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> Yes, I promise to be polite to bug reports even if they are rude to
> me. I have
> signed the code of conduct.
>
>  > Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
>  > Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that
>  > documentation?
> Yes, I have read the documention.  No questions
>
>  > What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug
>  > before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.
> The coredump.gz should be removed.

Heh. Usually we have to remember applicants that core dumps can
potentially have all sort of private data in them...

But there are also other places, like gconf and debug output.

>  > Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in
>  > helping out with?
> Yes, the rhythmbox package.

Very good, rhythmbox needs some love.

>  > Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
>  > should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and
>  > how to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that
>  > does not have an
> importance
>  > indicate what importance you would give it after becoming a member
>  > of
> Ubuntu
>  > Bug Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/519335 (Medium)

Good work, even more due to the adding of a screenshot showing the
error. But, frankly, this is a Low impact in my view (it did not change
the meaning -- so there was no chance of error in interpretation).

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/494758 (Low)

good work, and extra points for opening the upstream bug.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/483337 (Low)

Nice. It would have been good to keep on it, and get it upstream (like
above); there is also a probable dup, pointed on later on in the bug. I
agree with Low.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/497562 (High)

Nice catch and redirection to the Kubuntu PPA. I am not sure about the
High importance (since it is a PPA), but sounds correct.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/42686  (Medium)

Well, all you did was mark it Fix Released. Correctly, though.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/521474 (Low)

Good work. It would be nice if you had followed up on the upstream
comments (which I did, and *wrongly* closed the bug WONTFIX...). Again,
extra points for opening the upstream bug.

Now. I have mentored Nigel during this time, and I can attest he is
ready for -control, even if this request has some, er, limitations.

Applicants to -control -- and with special emphasis to mentored
applicants -- should keep in mind that some people (like the mentor)
*know* their work, but nobody else may be aware of it. As such,
applications should be written with care. As a generic rule, applicants
should consider that the reviewers will *not* be aware of the work.

+1, without a doubt, given Nigel's work.

..C..

p.s. Although I was the official mentor, pretty much all others in the
#ubuntu-bugs channel helped. Very cool.