Re: delan-azabani wants to join

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 08:53 +0800, Delan Azabani wrote:
> On 08/04/10 23:53, Brian Murray wrote:
> > Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> > part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> > criteria are met.
> >
> > 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> > you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> >
> > 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> > Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> > that documentation?
> >
> > 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> > information.
> >
> > 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
> >
> > 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> > triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> > process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> > that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> > it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> > your list of bugs so we can more easily find them.
> >
> > [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment
> > [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance
> >
> > Thanks again for your interest in joining the team and we look forward
> > to hearing from you.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > --
> > Brian Murray
> > Ubuntu Bug Master
> > Days running Lucid: 58
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply. I am looking forward to being of help
> to the Bug Control team.
>
> 1) Yes, I do. I have signed the Ubuntu code of conduct;
> http://launchpad.net/~delan-azabani
>
> 2) Yes, I have read these three pages.
>
> Unfortunately I do have a misunderstanding about the documentation.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, the HowToTriage page describes the triaging
> process, but one must be a member of Bug Control to triage/level bugs.
> In part 5 of your message I am to provide bugs that I have triaged; yet
> I cannot do so as I must already be a part of the team to have triaged
> any bugs.

Actually, anyone can triage bugs, but only bug-controllers can:

* change Importance
* change Status to Triaged

So people usually start by triaging bugs -- performing the work
described in the links above, except for the above two bullets.

After a while, if one wishes to, one can apply to be a member of
Bug-Control, and gain access to changing Importance and marking bugs as
triaged. At this point we expect to be given five bugs as an example of
triage performed (with a suggestion of what Importance should have been
set). These are the five bugs you would have to list here.

> 3) I know that I should keep any Apport-based report with a core dump
> file private, and check to see if the stack trace has any potentially
> sensitive data. If the report passes these two 'tests', then the bug may
> be made public.
>
> 4) I've been generally interested in Firefox, shared MIME and Nautilus
> recently.
>
> 5) Please see above; I don't understand how to provide triaged bugs if
> that is not possible at this time.

As I stated above, it is possible. "Triaged bugs" does not refer to bugs
you have set Status == Triaged, but to bugs you have read, asked for
supporting details, opened/linked upstream bugs when needed, etc -- the
usual bug triaging work.

And -- BTW -- thank you for helping!

..C..