Re: Bug Control Team Application for Christopher M. Penalver

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 10:50:41AM -0500, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> As per Brian Murray's E-Mail below I am applying for Bug Control.
>

> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you
> or Ubuntu? Yes. Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct? Yes.
>

> 2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage? Yes. Bugs/Assignment? Yes. Bugs/Status?
> Yes. Bugs/Importance? Yes. Do you have any questions about that documentation?
> No.
>

> 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report
> bug before making it public (See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information)?
>

> A reporter's personal information such as passwords, bank accounts, encryption
> keys or other personal data that does not appear related. As well, delete
> sensitive data files (ex. CoreDump.gz, Stacktrace.txt).
>

> 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are interested
> in helping out with? At this time, Openoffice.org and LibreOffice.
>

> 5. Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged and include an
> explanation of your Triage. Please note that these bugs should be
> representative of your very best work and they should demonstrate your
> understanding of the triage process and how to properly handle bugs. For all
> the bugs in the list, please indicate what importance (and explain the
> reasoning) you would give it after becoming a member of the Ubuntu Bug Control
> team. Please use urls in your list of bugs.
>

> 1)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/505188
> Importance Rationale: A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
> Triage Rationale: Reproducible in Natty LO, not an issue of security, data
> loss, or impacting a high number of users.

This is great work!  I particularly like the fact that you have modified
the description of the bug report and linked to an upstream bug report.
Both of these are very helpful.

> 2)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/522414
> Importance Rationale: A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
> Triage Rationale: I marked as Fixed Released as it is fixed in LibreOffice
> under Natty. It is not SRU eligible because it is not an issue of security,
> data loss, or impacting a high number of users. It does not fit the backport
> eligible criteria well because the issue is fixed via the LibreOffice PPA in
> Lucid and Maverick, and reporter's release is going EoL in less than a month.

Again this is fantastic work and I really like the verbosity of your
comments.  I think the more verbose we can be the more we educate bug
reporters and help future readers of the bug reports.

> 3)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/618024
> Importance Rationale: A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
> Triage Rationale: I marked as Fixed Released for openoffice.org as it is fixed
> in LibreOffice under Natty. It is not SRU eligible because it is not an issue
> of security, data loss, or impacting a high number of users. It does not fit
> the backport eligible criteria well because the issue was fixed as per the
> reporter in OOo Maverick, and the LibreOffice PPA is available in Lucid and
> Maverick.

I agree with the end result here, Fix Released for openoffice.org, but
not because it is fixed in LibreOffice.  While Ubuntu is now using
LibreOffice I think the LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org bug tasks should
be treated separately.  So ideally this bug would have a LibreOffice
task that is Fix Released (or maybe Invalid since we aren't sure it
existed in LibreOffice) in addition to a Fix Released OpenOffice.org bug
task.  Having said that I'm not certain the additional LO task would
provide much value.

> 4)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/646157
> Importance Rationale: A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
> Triage Rationale: Reproducible in Natty LO, not an issue of security, data
> loss, or impacting a high number of users.

This seems fine.

> 5)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/668079
> Importance Rationale: A bug that has a moderate impact on a core application.
> Triage Rationale: Reproducible in Natty LO not an issue of security, data
> loss, or impacting a high number of user.

This looks pretty good, however it seems to be missing a
regression-release tag as the original reporter indicated that this
worked on Lucid with OpenOffice.org but does not with Maverick.  I've
added this tag now.  Its also unfortunate that the text regarding the
regression is not in the bug description any more.

Reviewing the work you've listed in your application and some of your
other work that I've seen, I am happy to approve your membership in the
Ubuntu Bug Control team.  Thanks for helping out and welcome!

By the way I noticed that your comments and modifications of the bug
descriptions seems very regularly formatted.  Are you using any tools to
help you perform bug triage?

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master