Re: Bugcontrol membership for canonical-hw-cert application

On Wed, 25 May 2011 15:40:46 +0200
Ara Pulido <ara@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On behalf of the canonical-hw-cert team [1], I would like to apply for
> Bugcontrol membership for this team.
>
> The packages that we are interested in triaging are:
>
>  * linux*
>  * compiz
>  * unity
>  * xorg*
>  * xserver*
>  * alsa*
>  * ubiquity
>  * debian-installer
>  * checkbox
>  * pulseaudio
>  * pm-utils
>
> This team is a restricted Canonical team, where all of its members are
> part of the hardware certification team. The goal of this team is
> testing Ubuntu under different hardware and certify it as working with
> Ubuntu [2].
>
> All of our members have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and future
> members will be required to do that as well.
>
> Marc Tardif (CCed) and I are already members of the bugcontrol and we
> have several years of experience triaging Ubuntu bugs and following the
> Ubuntu release processes. We will be the representatives of this team
> and we will educate new members on Ubuntu Bug Control policies.
>
> Reasons for the application:
>
> On our daily jobs we test the development release of Ubuntu in the
> hardware that we have in our lab. Most of this hardware has already been
> certified with Ubuntu, so a failure in these tests usually is
> discovering a regression in Ubuntu. We also test every SRU to make sure
> that no regressions are introduced through updates.
>
> We participate in the release meeting and also the biweekly SRU
> meetings. We have been asked by the Release Manager several times to
> follow bug procedures that may involve setting importance and/or
> assigning bugs to certain teams. Not having permissions to do so is
> blocking our work and may lead on the delay of important fixes into Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks for considering our application.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ara Pulido.
>
> Representatives:
> Ara Pulido - https://launchpad.net/~apulido
> Marc Tardif - https://launchpad.net/~cr3
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~canonical-hw-cert/
> [2] http://www.ubuntu.com/certification

I endorse this application. I trust that Ara and Marc will train these
employees properly, and will periodically remind them that this does
have limited scope. These individuals should not be marking status and
importance for those items they are not involved with, however, as a
hardware certification team, they will be able to identify and triage
bugs that are difficult for many of us verify.

+1

--
Charlie Kravetz
charlie-tca@xxxxxxxxxx