Re: Membership application (returning lapsed member)

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 09:25:04PM +0100, TJ wrote:
> Due to other commitments I allowed my membership (2006-2010) of the
> bugcontrol team to lapse some time ago. I'm now in a position to
> devote time to bug-control once more and am therefore requesting
> membership.
>
> 1. I'm always polite and cannot recall ever having a bad experience
> with a bug reporter. I signed the code of conduct in 2006.
>
> 2. I have read and understand the documentation and have applied it
> extensively to bugs over a long period of time. I've re-read it now to
> ensure I'm up to date.
>
> 3. Sensitive data such as passwords or personally identifying
> information (name, account numbers, digital certificate keys) can
> sometimes be found in stack-traces as data in function arguments or in
> the binary data of core dumps.
>
> 4. I tend to roam the packages tackling bugs that lack love or appear
> to be particularly challenging to analyse and trace. Sometimes they
> come to my attention due to affecting me; other times I might read
> about them in forums or mailing-lists or see them mentioned on IRC.
>
> 5. Bugs I've worked on. As well as triaging I generally go after the
> cause of the bug and document my research (for others to follow on)
> even if I can't provide a final bug-fix or work-around. Where I can
> provide a fix I'll publish a patch and debdiff or link a code branch
> and request an SRU where appropriate.
>
> 5.1. HIGH. [Precise] sudo. Abort in libpam-mount due to
> pam_open_session() not being called.
>
> Analysis and tracing revealed this as a high importance bug because it
> shows that sudo was not calling pam_open_session() when a valid cached
> timestamp was present. This could theoretically expose new vectors for
> privilege escalation.
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/927828
>
> 5.2 NORMAL/HIGH. [Lucid] ubuntuone-client. Ubuntuone-client software
> wont start.
>
> This was an 'annoyance' bug but also very visible to affected users
> since it prevented access to ubuntu-one. I delved into the Python code
> and identified a coding problem, published a corrective workaround,
> and alerted the Ubuntu One team.
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/666608
>
> 5.3 HIGH. [Oneiric, Precise] mountall. could not mount
> /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
>
> This was a high importance bug that prevented encrypted swap being
> mounted during boot. I was able to figure out a method of tracing the
> early start-up to aid running and monitoring the processes manually.
> That led to revealing one underlying cause (there were two). I was
> able to develop a fix which was polished by Steve Langasek. It also
> caused me to write analysis scripts to determine the most efficient
> patch. It turned out the bug report covered 2 distinctly different
> problems which masked each other.
>
> https:/launchpad.net/bugs/874774
>
> 5.4 HIGH. [Oneiric] casper, upstart. PXE/NFS boot requires "IPAPPEND
> 2" in PXE menus

> [...]

While these bugs aren't the typical sort of triage that we see your
research into the bugs is phenomenal.  Additionally, I recall your
previous work and would be happy to have you back in the team.

Barring any objections I'll add you next week.

Thanks!
--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master