Re: Improving https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection

On 24/07/12 22:32, Christopher Penalver wrote:
> Ubuntu Bug Control / Ubuntu Kernel Team,
>
>  Hello everyone. I wanted to inquire about improving https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection to further empower Ubuntu community members who run into kernel regression bugs, and want to bisect their own kernels.

I think this is a good addition. Anything that makes the procedure less daunting and more understandable *up-front* for regular users is welcome. Good actual working examples copied from terminal are
invaluable in giving inexperienced users confidence to tackle it.

When I was working on linux bugs full-time (couple years ago) I had a handful of helper shell scripts that I offered to bug-reporters that would automate much of the process. They could:

* identify the problematic kernel
* clone the main-line kernel and appropriate Ubuntu kernels into one local repository
* install previous pre-built kernel releases (from archive.ubuntu.com)
* decide on the min/max bisect kernel versions based on released kernels
* automate the bisect/install/test iterations

Formalising scripts into an Ubuntu package might be useful if we want to encourage and support increased kernel bug-hunting for less technical users.

TJ.